Construction Law/claim question

Question
Hi Mr. Alofe,
My contract is yellow fidic 1999 and my case is as follow:
The employer sent a claim (the engineer said that it is not a claim but a variation, but the employer insisted on proceeding with a claim procedure)regarding a deduction in quantities of excavation works due to different soil conditions which are employer's risk.
The engineer had to determine because the contractor missed to give any proof of his loss and the employer claim was calculated in this way:
45 000 m3-750 000 $-that's the schedule of values
15 000 m3-250 000 $- valuation of claim.
The determination was done but now the contractor came up with proofs of his loss (cost per unit; unobsorbed overheads) and the engineer thinks that the contractor really suffered this loss. So my question is how can  the engineer overcome the situation using the contract procedure to reimburse the contractor for the costs incurred?
Best regards

Answer
Dear Radoslav
Hello
I am taking the opportunity to reply your question;
According to FIDIC 1999(yellow book). Engineer is correct, the proposal is variation not a claim.
For the loss due to reduced quantities , the contractor may claim for the profit component.
I hope this will help to you.
With best regards
SAMNA KHANDELWAL  

Construction Law

Sanjay Khandelwal