Construction Law/contractor final payment

Question
am the engineer in the contract. the contractor is submitting his final payment application for 6 times  since 2010. my justification in not approving his final payment is due to the many many mistakes in his submitted application (quantities, rates,....etc). does my action right or should i do the corrections my self .please advise.thanks
eng.mamoun

Answer
The Sub-clause 14.11 from FIDIC 1999 says that the Contractor is to issue the Final Statement. If the Engineer, though, needs clarifications or see errors, he is to ask information from the Contractor and, then agree together with the Contractor, then the Contractor shall issue the Final Statement. Then,the Engineer is to issue the Final Payment Certificate accordingly.
If there could be no agreement, the Engineer shall issue an Interim Payment Certificate for the agreed part, then the disputed part is to be dealt as a dispute and settled according to 20.4 [Obtaining the DAB decision] and 20.5 [Amicable Settlement].
My advice would be to try to have an agreement with the Contractor, in a stated period of time, given the long time already passed, on as much as possible from the statement, and that part to be issued as the Final Statement by the Contractor. Then you, the Engineer, should issue the IPC accordingly. The dispute on the not agreed part of the Contractor's submission to be referred, after, to the DAB for its decision, and, if the decision will be not accepted by the Contractor and Employer, to be agreed according to 20.5, as mentioned above.
Hope this will help.
Best regards,
Alina

Construction Law

Alina Valentina Oprea