Construction Law/deduction on lump sum contract

We have a lump sum contract with the client/owner. However, they deleted some items (supply and installation of balcony and accu railings, trellis, etc.) and awarded it to another contractor without informing us that it will be deleted to us prior to the awarding of those scope.

Can we charge the owner, opportunity of loss? If so, how much. Is 10% of the scope amount okay?

Also, could they deduct items on our contract such as equipments like generator when it was not used on site?

Thank you.

Hi Dafhne,

Thank you for your question. You forgot to mention the form of contract you are using and the governing law, thus my answer will be general in nature.

It is clear that the Client have breached the contract,unless something is written in your contract YES you can claim, if you can prove it.

There is no exact percentage to compute for such claim, it all depends on your actual loss.

Yes, the Client can deduct items under a lump sum contract provided such item shall not be awarded to other contractors. If you incurred cost to such deduction, you can submit a claim notice and further submit detailed particulars of your claim.

Hope the above helps and you can provide me a good rating.

Construction Law

Jonathan L. Peralta

Questions relating to claims, Extension of Time, Variations, Interim Payment and delays utilizing FIDIC Form of Contracts.

Extensive experience gained from international contractors in Vietnam, Myanmar and the Philippines in various sectors including: infrastructures, marine works, civil and buildings.

AACEI, U.S.A., Dispute Resolution Board Foundation,U.S.A., ASCE, U.S.A., PICE,Philippines

Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, Registered Civil Engineer in the Philippines