Construction Law/Extension of Defect Liability Period

Question
Dear Peter, may you ans my question?

Giving a situation, A developer company entered contract with Contractor Company to construct 50 units of bungalows. Under building contract, both parties agreed the Defect Liability Period is twelve (12) months. During the construction period, the developer changed his mind extended the defect liability period from twelve (12) months to thirty-six (36) months. Reason of extend the defect liability period is the developer initiative to boost his property sales. At the same time, government has also gazette such new statutory requirement for all developers to implement immediately. Question is in order to ensure a better quality of works, how the contractor going to demand for thirty percent (30%) or RM 750,000.00 increase on the construction cost from the client. Ans can be based on JTC Standard Building Form
of Contract, PAM 2006 (with quantity)form, and/or PWD 203A form of Contract.
Question 1: What may be the reasons of Government gazette new statutory requirement of extend the Defect Liability Period (DLP)?

Question 2: What should Contractor respond upon government gazette such new statutory requirement and why?

Question 3: What are the effects after defect liability period extend from twelve (12) months to thirty-six (36) months?

Question 4: After comply the new statutory requirement, if Contractor feel his risk taken extended and/or have to extend warranty of equipment, can he/she claim for such additional cost? if so, how he/she claim for it?

Question 5: Is that any case law before similar to such situation?

Answer
Dear Alvin,

I have no knowledge or experience of  JTC Standard Building Form of Contract, PAM 2006 (with quantity)form, and/or PWD 203A form of Contract, so my answer will be based on FIDIC 99.  

q1. Desire for increased protection of consumers (house buyers) due to defects appearing after 12 month Defect Liability Period, following a series of complaints against contractors;

q2. Contractor should obey and follow the law as this is a requirement of all civilised societies;

q3. Greater attention to quality by contractors and increased prosecution of contractors in the years immediately following the change in law

q4.  Calculate the increased risk, perhaps based on increased insurance premiums, and claim for the increased costs through the clause covering changes in legislation after the Contract has been signed.

q5.  I have no knowledge of any relevant case law, but you could try googling the subject.

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott