Construction Law/Extension & LD

Question
Contract is delayed and completion date was already due. Contractor was requested to proceed the work, while variation(additional work)per client request is still being processed . Is LD be applicable.

Answer
Hi Rotor
When a contractor is in culpable delay then LD's are levied on the period of delay.
If during this period the Employer orders extra work that causes further delay then that further period is added to the original completion date and LD's start from that revised date.
This is known as the "Dot On" principle and derives from the Balfour Beatty v Chestermount case in England.
Best regards
Mike Testro

Construction Law

Mike Testro