Construction Law/Extension of Time

Question
I am working on a standard form of contract project in which the employer requested for work to be put on hold on the main building but external works be continued. The project recommenced 5 months after and very little external works were executed in the period. The contractor is now making claims on extended preliminaries on the project. please advice on how to treat this.

Answer
Hi Toks
Suspension of works is a relevant event for an extension of time so the contractor is entitled to that extension plus loss and expense arising from that clause.
The contractor could have progressed with the external works but that would probably not have reduced the final delayed end date and would have cost the contractor for retaining a presence on site during the suspension.
Provided the external works are completed within the extended date then the contractor has fulfilled his contractual obligations.
Best regards
Mike Testro

Construction Law

Mike Testro