Construction Law/Sub Clause12.3 (iii)

Question
Dear Sir,

I would like to ask you in connection with sub-clause 12.3 (iii). At the moment i have change order with additional quantity for relocation LV poles (originally 99 poles to be 154 poles) and i intend to propose a new rate since contract rate is no longer sufficient to be applied (original rate: $500/unit, new rate: $900/unit).
The condition is comply with criteria 12.3 (i), (ii), (iv), but i need clarity particularly for criteria 12.3 (iii) (change in quantity directly changes the cost per unit quantity of this item by more than 1%).

Answer
Dear Widyapraja,

Thank you for this question.

YOu have not set out the reasons why the rate increase will be so great and I will not speculate. In answer to your query regarding the condition set out in sub-clause 12.3(a)(iii) -  that the change in quantity directly changes the Cost per unit quantity of the item by more than 1% - I note as follows.

Your original rate was $500.
1% of that original rate is, therefore, $5.

For a new rate to be appropriate under sub-clause 12.3(a), all of conditions (i)-(iv) must apply. Hence your new a reg must be more that $5 different from the old rate; that is it must be less than $495/item or more than $505/item. As you are proposing a new rate of $900 this criterion is satisfied.

I hope that this assists you.

Kind regards,
John Dowse

Follow me on Twitter: @CernoOrg
For my weekly industry newsletter e-mail to info@cerno.org, stating SUBSCRIBE in the subject line

Training and consulting services are available, bespoke to companies and individuals.

John Dowse can be contacted by e-mail to info@cerno.org (When e-mailing, please include “AllExperts” in the subject line.)

Construction Law

John Dowse