Construction Law/Termination of Main Contract under FIDIC 99 - Nominated Subcontractor

Question
Dear sir;

We are a nominated subcontractor under a FIDIC 99 contract; the Employer was in default for delayed payments and then he failed to pay to the main contractor his due amounts.
The main contractor sent his notices in accordance with Clause 16.2 and gave the employer a termination notice with a 14 daysí notice. The notice period will end tomorrow. Itís important to state that such termination notice was issued by the main contractor without the due consultation with the nominated subcontractor.
The Employer did not reply to the termination notice, and the main contractor did not reply to our letters regarding the remaining open works and protection of the executed works.
Now, what shall we do regarding this termination?

Regards;

Haya

Answer
Dear Haya,

I have no information regarding your sub-contract with the main contractor, but, under FIDIC 99, being nominated gives you no extra privileges over a domestic sub-contractor, unlike FIDIC 4.  Although it would be courteous of the main contractor to discuss his action with you, he is under no obligation so to do.

If the Contract is terminated, then the Contractor has an obligation to protect the Works before leaving the site.  

What to do?  Wait until you get a termination notice from the Contractor, try to recover all outstanding payments and fulfil your obligations to protect the Works when instructed so to do by the Contractor.  Unfortunately it is a lose-lose situation for you.

Apologies for being so pessimistic, but there are no silver bullets.

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott