Construction Law/Access routes

Question
Dear Sir,
We need you advise on the following:

The Contractor is claiming additional money for maintenance (because he says the road is in bad condition) of access roads for carrying materials from quarries and requests a variation order. However we as Supevision Consultant, engineer, rejected this claim referring to FIDIC 2005 Sub-Clause 4.15 Access route (a)
(a) the Contractor shall (as between parties) be responsible for any maintenance which may be required for his access routes.

Q: Is the contractor entitiled to additional compensation in this case?
Thank you.

Answer
Hi Murod
Does the Contractor have exclusive use of the haul roads?
If yes then the words "his access routes" means that he must maintain them.
If no then the Contractor has a case because he would not be responsible for reparing damage caused by another third party using the access route.
The key words here are (as between the parties) which excludes any third party.
Best regards
Mike Testro

Construction Law

Mike Testro