Construction Law/Change of utilities network direction or location under FIDIC Contracts first edtion 1999

Question
Under FIDIC-99, is the change of location of items( pipes or building units inside the same project site) considered as modification to tender drawing even if the quantities and specifications still the same?
is it the same for lumpsum contracts ?
Is the Contractor claim for a variation justifiable ?

Answer
Dear Khalid,

Anything, which is a modification from the tender drawings, is a variation and is to be dealt with under clause 13 (and clause 12 if applicable).

It is the same for lump sum contracts without clause 12.

The Contractor can claim for reimbursement of extra costs or for an Extension of Time (see SCL Protocol on Delay and Disruption www.eotprotocol.com ) but he must justify that he has extra costs and has been delayed in accordance with clause 20.1.

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott