Construction Law/Defect Liability

Question
We, as Contractor failed to remedy all defects in Defect Liability period. Amount of the rectifying works are minor to the amount of contract (less than 1%). Now Employer announced his intention to collect our Bank Guarantee. My question is: will the Employer collect the Bank Guarantee in whole amount or just amount claimed for finishing the subject works.

Answer
Dear Gornaid,

My apologies for the delayed response, which has been due to the end of year activities.

You do not mention the form of contract nor the applicable law, so the following comments will be generic.  

Under clause 4.2 (c) of FIDIC 99, the Employer is allowed to claim the cost of incomplete defects, but he must indemnify the Contractor against all costs for a wrongful claim.  Thus generally, the Employer can claim reimbursement of his costs, but no more.  I would suggest that you ask the Employer to claim the cost from your retention, if possible, rather than your performance security.  Claims against performance securities have a negative effect on your credit facilities and reputation.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott