Construction Law/provisional sum

QUESTION: I need your help
I am a client representative and we have provisional sum items in our BOQ
The contractor allocate the Amount of each provisional sum upon rewarded is this right
And if it is not what is the right distribution is it  on timely manner or on percentage complete of the work under these provisional

Yes, the Contractor is right,
We understand that there is no agreed definition of "Provisional Sum." In general, it is referred to  a price for works that is not required, or its scope is not clear; therefore, the parties include a price based on best estimates.

As the work will proceed, the provisional sum will be replaced with actual work/valuation. Final cost may be up or down. However, it must be clear in the Contract as the provisional sum will be replaced with the actual cost.

Best Regards,
Akhtar Hussain Mayo

QUESTION: Dear thanks for your help can you tele my were I but the provisional sum in the schedule of work and if the contractor need to reserve a time in his schedule to perform the provisional sum activities

Dear SUS,

I am not sure, where to put provisional sum in the schedule concerning your question. Usually, we have this item at the end of schedule of works.

Further, the items included in the provisional sum are listed tentatively; however, the time element is subject to evaluation as per actual status. It may contribute for additional times or may not; therefore, it will be evaluated for the case to case basis.

Best Regards,

Akhtar Hussain Mayo

Construction Law

Akhtar Hussain Mayo

I am interested to comment on Project planning/scheduling, schedule updating, extension of time delay analysis, concurrent delays, extension of time, extension of time delay compensation cost analysis, up to some extent on contractual matters, for the sake of my learning

worked on a Eot and cost compensation claim in 1992 for 34 million USD, 1987-1992 worked as RE technical at Tarbela third extension, Pakistan, 1992-1996 scheduling and construction claim processing at Lahore/Karachi on Thermal projects, 1197 to 2006 in Saudi Arabia project scheduling/coordination/monitoring and managing the multiple activities for completing four 300 beds hospitals in different parts of the world, since 2006 to date working for scheduling, delay analysis, cost compensation Eot claims and project monitoring. Also, Quality manuals review, monitoring and quality audit

National Engineering Services of Pakistan, Lahore, since 1982 - to date.

published my method in "The Engineer" Delay cost analysis through as-planned verses as-built and as-adjusted time schedule. 1991

1976-81 Bsc Engineering (Mechanical), UET (Lahore) 2007-2009 MS TQM (Total Quality Management) PU (Lahore) courses in CPM/PERT PIM Lahore Project planning/Control work shop ARAMCO, Dahran Primavera users conference in Jeddah. Heat recovery systems quality inspection in China 220 Kv transmission line tower manufacturing quality assurance at Lahore

- Best service award from Saudi German Hospitals Group (SGH), Jeddah during the construction planning/scheduling and monitoring of Abha Hospital, Saudi Arabia. - Selected as Steering Committee member for SGH Group, Jeddah. - Selected as Strategic Committee for business development, SGH, Jeddah. - Headed the committee for standardized recrutment of medical staff from different parts of the world for initial start-Up of hospitals.

Water and Power Development Authority KaracHi Electric Supply Corporation Saudi German Hospitals Group,Jeddah Civil Aviation Authority, Islamabad, Pakistan Laraib Energy Limited, Mir Pur Azad-Kashmir, Pakistan Central Power Generation company processing the Eot Claims and cost compensation of claims CPGCL-GENCO-II, Lahore