You are here:

Construction Law/Qualification of Resident Engineer


Dear Sir

The FIDIC harmonised rules state that the Engineer employed by the Employer must be qualified and competent. The rules further state that they are to appoint competent and qualified assistants (i.e. Resident Engineer).

Is there any minimum qualification for a Resident Engineer? does the appointed Resident Engineer have to be a qualified Engineer?

If so, is there any remedy for the contractor where the Engineer appoints a non Engineer to the post.

Dear Kerri
The Fidic is the contract conditions between the employer and the contractor. accordingly the Engineer Office should hire Qualified Engineers for the RE post. Qualification does mean a  graduated Engineer with the appropriate experience related to the contract field of works. Ie and engineer with 10 yrs experience in road works is not qualified to do high rise building. in your case, the engineer is not an engineer which is a clear contractual deviation on the part of the employer. A proper notice should be given to the employer with clear identification of all the consequences.
good luck

Construction Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Wael Ghadban


Will respond to queries related to Engineering Contracts subject to FIDIC or other Conditions, tendering and contracting, project management, residential and commercial construction, and general Civil Engineering questions. Can answer most questions related to aviation and airports as related to the Airports, Facility management.


Project construction and Management Civil Aviation - Airports Airport Pavement Design and Use Residential and commercial construction ICAO and FAA regulation



MS Civil Engineering

Awards and Honors

Past/Present Clients

©2017 All rights reserved.