Construction Law/recovery of loss

Question
Dear Peter
This is in reference to FIDIC 99 clause 18.1. In context of the penultimate para of the clause, in case the contractor fails to insure an employer's risk event which he should have insured and the employer also did not on its own insure against that event who would be responsible for the loss from that event? Can the employer recover the loss from the event from the contractor?

Regards

Answer
Dear Abu Hasim,

Clause 18.1 states 'However, if the insuring Party fails to effect and keep in force an insurance which is available and which it is required to effect and maintain under the Contract, and the other Party neither approves the omission nor effects insurance for the coverage relevant to this default, any moneys which should have been recoverable under this insurance shall be paid by the insuring Party.'  Seems clear enough to me, provided that insurance was available for the Employer's Risk at a reasonable cost. Some risks are uninsurable.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott