Construction Law/Sub-Clause 8.3 Programme

Question
QUESTION: Dear Mr. Peter,

Greetings!!!

As per Sub-Clause 8.3 Programme, the Contractor shall submit a detailed time programme to the Engineer within 28 days...,

Q1: In this sub-clause 8.3 (a) to (d)..., detailed time programme it does mean that the programme of work must be resource and cost loaded?

Q2: Do the Engineer need to APPROVE or REJECT the programme if the programme does not comply with the Contract?

I mentioned question #2 because one of my colleague says the Engineer does not have to answer the letter using the words APPROVE or REJECT the programme rather than to say "DOES NOT COMPLY WITH THE CONTRACT...,"

However, in my point of view, how does the Engineer might know if the programme is ACCEPTED to him if he does not APPROVE it or REJECT. What should be the correct WORDS or TERMS to response to the letter if the programme is acceptable as per the condition of contract?

By the way, we are using FIDIC 1999 First Edition

Thank you

AJ

ANSWER: Dear AJ,

Read clause 8.3.

1, Sublause (d) "(ii) details showing the Contractor’s reasonable estimate of the number of each class of Contractor’s Personnel and of each type of Contractor’s Equipment, required on the Site for each major stage."

so the programme has to be resourced if not costed, but the Engineer would probably ask for a cash flow forecast, which would be a reasonable request.

2. "Unless the Engineer, within 21 days after receiving a programme, gives notice to the Contractor stating the extent to which it does not comply with the Contract, the Contractor shall proceed ...."  

so the Engineer is not required to approve the programme, merely to say, within 21 days of receipt, that it is non-compliant with the Contract and state the extent.  The Engineer has no power to release The Contractor from any of his obligations so an 'approval' has no value.   If the programme is compliant, not acceptable, then the Engineer has to do nothing.  

QUESTION: Sir, thank you so much for your prompt reply.

Q1: AGREE and CLEARED

Q2: I just want to clarify this para. "The Engineer has no power to release The Contractor from any of his obligations so an 'approval' has no value. If the programme is compliant, not acceptable, then the Engineer has to do nothing."

Can you please explain further why the Engineer has no power and has nothing to do with this statement...,

Answer
Dear AJ

Read clause 3.1 'The Engineer shall have no authority to amend the Contract.'  

No authority to amend the contract means that he has no power to release the Contractor from his obligations.  Also consider the implications of Clause 11.9.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott