Construction Law/Back to Back Subcontract

Question
Dear sir;

I need a definition for the term " Full back to back basis", this term was used on a Subcontract Agreement.

Thank you

Haya

Answer
Dear Haya,

Back to back contracts are almost as dangerous as a Letter of Intent.  It is safer to walk through a live minefield than sign a back to back contract.  I hope that you had sight of the main contract before you signed your subcontract and asked 1001 questions about the meaning and application of back to back.  Even main contractors do not understand what is meant by 'back to back'.  They are just lazy and hope that it transfers all obligations to the subcontractors, without realising their exposure.  

A couple of websites that might help you understand the concept and the perils:-
http://www.deaconslaw.com/eng/knowledge/knowledge_439.htm
http://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/news/view/rights-and-obligations-under-bac

There are other sites if you google 'back to back construction contracts'.  Never walk through an open door unless you have some idea of what is on the other side.  Best advice is to finish the contract on time, whatever the cost, and be more careful next time.

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott