Construction Law/Variation Claim in Design & Build Contract

Question
Dear Mr. Peter M. Elliott,

The project we are working is Design & Build and using FIDIC 99 edition, its a Lumsum Contract, but no BOQ. And we are supervision consultant. My question is how the contractor can claim Variation? Is there any clause support that without BOQ contractor can not claim variation.

Answer
Dear Ishaq Kan,

The procedure for variations and their valuation is covered by clause 13.  Unfortunately clause 12 for the Yellow Book covers tests on completion, rather than valuation as in the Red Book, so you have no guidance, unless there is something in the Particular Conditions.  The basis for claims is more restricted in the Yellow Book than in the Red Book, but the Contractor still has the right to be reimbursed extra costs if the Employer varies some thing.  

The Contract submits his claim in accordance with clause 20.1.  The absence of a BoQ just makes it more difficult to agree the cost and time effect of the variation.  I suggest that you deal any claim with care and gentleness.

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott