Construction Law/Variation for Lump Sum Contract

Question
We are using FIDIC Yellow Book in a lump sum contract. There is an item in our contract for the supply of an equipment. The contract specified an old model. We proposed a new model, which is better. This was accepted by the Consultant more than a year ago without any condition and it has been installed now.

Now the client want us to give a cost breakdown to determine any cost difference between the 2 models and say that any cost saving shall be for the benefit of the client. We refused to give breakdown as this is a lump contract, is this correct? Otherwise please advise.

Answer
Dear Wong,

You should have no worries, provided that you followed the procedure set out in clause 13.2.  If the Employer feels that he should have a reduction, then he must discuss it with The Engineer, who may have exceeded his authority is accepting your proposal.  I am sure that you can provide a cost breakdown showing that the new model was more expensive but easier to procure, and that you accepted the extra cost due to time savings or something similar.  

Lump sum contracts should state performance specifications not method specifications.  Then the  Contractor is free to choose the best equipment which complies with the performance specification.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott