Construction Law/How can we minimize the exposure of risk when we enter the overseas market using contract management?

Question
Dear Mr. Peter,

My company wants to enter into overseas market, but we want to minimize the risk with stating in the MOU / JOA agreement that -   in case of PROJECT loss, our partner shall take over all liabilities upon the overall amount of such loss. Also when negative cash flow occured, our partners will cover up the negative project cash flow. What do you think about such kind of provision in the contract? How can we minimize the exposure of risk when we enter the overseas market using contract management?
Thank you for your attention.

Best regards,

Seno

Answer
Dear Satrio,

I think that there is a low possibility of any partners accepting your conditions, especially as part of the losses or negative cash flow could be caused by your actions or inactions.  You can minimise your exposure to risk by paying for insurance policies to cover your risk or by government insurance, if available.  You need to cost your risks and then add an amount to your bids to cover that cost.  Of course, that extra cost may mean that you lose the tender, but that is part of the risk of the overseas market.  

Considering your comments, I suggest that you need more investigation of the methods of entering the overseas market further and the risks involved.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott