Construction Law/Monthly Report and Suspension

Question
A Contractor executing works under an MDB FIDIC Contract in Serbia is under suspension, in accordance with Sub-Clause 16.1, for non-payment of IPCs by the Employer.

My question relates to the Contractor's obligation to submit Monthly Reports in accordance with Sub-Clause 4.21. Is this obligation carried out when the Contractor has fully suspended the works?

Thank you very much in advance.

Answer
Dear Nikolaos,

It might be an obligation, but it would be a foolhardy client or engineer that tried to enforce it when the contract is suspended. I suggest that you concentrate on getting the Employer to fulfil his obligations rather than hitting on the Contractor.  Of course, the Contractor might be generous enough to submit a one page report stating that the Works are suspended due to breach by the Employer, which would be an embarrassment for all.

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott