Construction Law/Relevant Rates

Question
I am contacting you to inquire about an issue related to derived new  price from  Relevant rates  as clause 12.3 “Evaluation” in Red book of Fidic/1999 , in this case :

In project there is an item about Reinforcement Concrete Slab with an area of 3000M.S in Bill of Quantity of the contract with Unit price of 50 EUR per M.S .

When the contractor proceed to implementation of the work  , Show that the area of Reinforcement Concrete of Slab  on the site only 1500M.S ,

So the contractor ask the Employer  to determinate New Price of this item of slab as Clause 12.3 in the  Fidic  because  The changes in the item “ slab” Check the following :
-(a)    the measured quantity of the item is changed by more than 10% from the quantity of this item in the Bill of Quantities or other Schedule,
-(b)   this change in quantity multiplied by such specified rate for this item exceeds 0.01% of the Accepted Contract Amount,
-(c)   this change in quantity directly changes the Cost per unit quantity of this item by more than 1%,

So as this Clause the new price shall be derived from  relevant rates , the question is :
- how can be that However the reinforcement concrete of slab is specified in the contract , and the price of contractor in this item  (50Eur) is not appropriate , and the responsible cost of this item is (90 EUR ) .
- what is the meaning of “ Relevant rates “ in this Clause .

Best Regards

Answer
Dear Muhannad,

The relevant rate in this instance is the rate quoted in the Contract for 3,000 M.S..  If the Contractor submitted a low rate for this item, that is his problem.  So now you look at the difference in cost between the two quantities.  The lower quantity will have a lower overhead recovery, so that might a reason for an increased rate.  If the technology has changed from mechanical mixers to hand mixing, that could be another reason for a rate change.  You do not recalculate the rate from using the current basic prices.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott