Construction Law/rise and fall

Question
QUESTION: if the contract specifies the following;
rate of fuel consumption, a = 2 litres/hr
base fuel price, Fo = $10/litre
current fuel price, Fn = $15/litre
In a period where P = 100 hours have been worked, what would be the appropriate rise and fall formula to use? would the following formula be sensible to use;
Rise & Fall = P * a * Fn/Fo

ANSWER: Dear Nadal,

Your proposal might be acceptable, but it all depends on the specific requirements of the Contract.

QUESTION: Thanks for the previous answer, just a follow up question;

would a formula of rise and fall = P * a * (Fn-Fo) be acceptable as well, considering that "a" ; rate of fuel consumption, would not be the actual consumption rate but the agreed consumption rate at the time of tender?

ANSWER: Dear Nadal,

It is highly unlikely that this proposal would be acceptable.

QUESTION: That's interesting, is it possible to give any motivation why with the latter formula it will be highly unlikely  that it would be acceptable.

Answer
Dear Nadal,

It all depends on how you apply the formula and you are not giving me sufficient information.  Your two formulae can be used as follows:-

1. Total change in cost per month = Hours worked per month x fuel used/hour (a) x (current cost (Fn) - base cost (Fo))

Total payment per month = Hours worked per month x fuel used/hour (a) x (current cost (Fn) - base cost (Fo)) + Hours worked per month x fuel used/hour (a) x base cost (Fo)

Total payment per month = Hours worked per month x fuel used/hour (a) x current cost (Fn)

alternatively

2. Factor to be applied to costs (F) = [(current cost (Fn) - base cost (Fo))/(base cost (Fo))]  

Total payment per month = Hours worked per month x fuel used/hour (a) x (1+F)

Total payment per month = Hours worked per month x fuel used/hour (a) x (Fn/Fo)

There is a significant difference between 1 & 2, so how would you define payment formula?

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott