Construction Law/Financial charges ob delayed payment

Question
Dear Sir
I refer to FIDIC 2010 MDB harmonized edition Sub-Clause 14.8 regarding Financial charges on delayed payment; does this sub-clause is also applicable on delayed payment of Moblization Advance?

Mohammad Aqeel Ahmad

Answer
Dear Aqeel

Thanks for the question. I would try to answer your question as I understand it. In FIDIC 2010, under sub Clause 14.2 Advance Payment is a due payment to be made to the Contractor. In Sub Clause 14.7, the first installment of the advance payment has been mentioned in the payment to be made by the Employer to the Contractor. Under Sub Clause 14.8, the Contractor is entitled to receive financial charges if he does not receive payments in accordance with Sub Clause 14.7. So the answer to your question is yes.

I would like to add that the intent of mentioning the first installment of Advance Payment separately is because this installment is generally requested by the Contractor when there is no other payment due. This also confirms that answer to your question is in affirmative.

I hope this answers your question. If you need any further clarification then please feel free to ask.

Regards

Abdul Majid Khan  

Construction Law

Abdul Majid Khan