Construction Law/Tender design and drawings according to Fidic Red Book

Question
Dear Sir,
In order to prepare a tender documentation according to the Fidic Red Book, what should be the details of drawings and design for a hydropower project? Is there a need of delivery of the temporary structures design such as camp buildings, water supply electricity to the tunnel? or the documentatiton covers the design of permanent structures (such as tunnel, shaft, dam etc). do ve have to specify the Contractor's requirements to perform the construction such as number of workers, machinery, crane, number of cars, trucks etc.

Best Regards,Aldonat Köksal

Answer
Dear Aldonat Koksal

Thanks for the question although it was in the pool. According to FIDIC Red Book, the responsibility for design rests with the Employer. The Employer is supposed to provide drawings and other documents forming part of the Tender is sufficient detail to enable the Bidders to prepare their bids by putting a price against the items mentioned in Schedule of Prices (BOQ). In case sufficient details are not provided at the bidding stage then due to limited information the bidders will not be able to price the items correctly and will finally lead to claims and counter claims and disputes. So you have to provide sufficient details for each component of the project whether major or minor, mentioned in your question. However those details can be provided later in the construction/ shop drawings which will not change the nature of work required to be executed.

As for as specifying Contractor's requirements is concerned, the Employer may assess the requirement of Plant and machinery for the project and may specify a minimum requirement necessary for the completion of the project and to make himself satisfied with the state of mobilization of the contractor.

I would like to add that proper format for such Hydro-power project is the EPC/ Turn Key format where the Employer only gives his Requirements regarding the final outputs in sufficient details and the constraints under which the contractor has to execute the project. The rest is left to contractor to design and get it approved from the Employer before execution.

In a nutshell I would recommend to use the EPC/Turn Key format and not the Red Book. I hope the question is answered. You are welcomed for any further clarifications.

Regards

Abdul Majid Khan  

Construction Law

Abdul Majid Khan