Construction Law/Variation Claim in a Lump Sum Contract

Question
Mr.Elliot,

Here is my question:

Let’s say we have a lump sum (+/-5% re-measurable) subcontract with an EPC contractor with a condition of “any change in quantities/dimensions resulting with a change in price less than 10% shall not be considered as a variation”. And we have a change in work scope/dimensions with an effect of 15%, hypothetically. Are we eligible to claim cost of this 15% or only that ‘additional’ 5% which is above 10% margin?

May EPC contractor say “Subcontractor accepted that risk of 10% and it is buried in their contingency” or not?

What is the common practice and understanding -considering it is not defined in further detail in the contract? Is this 10% margin just defines the eligibility to proceed with a claim or it really means that all parties should have considered that risk beforehand?

Thanks.

Answer
Dear Can Koseoglu,

Please accept my apologies for the huge delay in responding.  I have been looking after an energetic 2 year old after her other grandfather broke 4 ribs.  

You do not mention the form of contract, nor the applicable law.  EPC contracts are renowned for the lack of potential claims, with all risk on the Contractor or sub-contractor.  

FIDIC 4 Clause 52.3 states 'Such sum shall be based only on the amount by which such additions or deductions shall be in excess of 15 per cent of the Effective Contract Price.'  It is possible that your clause will be interpreted in a similar manner, so that you can claim only those costs above 10%.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott