Construction Law/Defects Liability Guarantee

I am Contacting you to inquire about an issue related to Defects Liability Guarantee in the case of Termination by  Contractor as clause 16.2 in Fidic 1999 Red book in this case ،
The Employer substantially fails to perform his obligations under the Contract in Financial Arrangements as clause 16.2.a , So the Contractor notice to the Employer to terminate the Contract , The two parties ( The Employer and The Contractor ) agreed to Termination the Contract and Calculate all the works Executed , to be paid at contract prices ,
The Question is ,
Does the contractor is required to Submit the Defects Liability Guarantee of these works Executed , for one year from the date of Taking Over of the Works .
Best Regards

Dear Muhannad,

Thank you for this question. The answer will depend upon the timing of the events and I have tried to explain, below, the different scenarios.

If I understand the issue correctly, the termination occurred before the works were completed and, therefore, before a Taking-Over Certificate became necessary. As such the Contractor is not obliged to provide the Defects Liability Guarantee as this was, at the time of the termination, a future obligation.

Even if the works were completed I doubt that the Contractor is obliged to submit the Defects Liability Guarantee if the termination precedes the obligation for the Guarantee.

If, however the obligation on the Contractor had arisen before the termination, the Contractor will have to provide the Guarantee. Termination affects only the performance of obligations falling after the date of termination.

I hope that this assists you.

Kind regards,
John Dowse

Follow me on Twitter: @CernoOrg
For my regular industry newsletter e-mail to, stating SUBSCRIBE in the subject line

Training and consulting services are available, bespoke to companies and individuals.
John Dowse can be contacted by e-mail to (When e-mailing, please include “AllExperts” in the subject line.)

Construction Law

John Dowse

Legal; contract interpretation; quantum; delay analysis. Practitioner in arbitration, adjudication and mediation.

Thirty-three (33) years experience in building and construction, at all levels both within contracting and consulting organisations. Practising arbitrator, adjudicator, and mediator. Faculty approved trainer for the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. Lecturer on construction contract forms and dispute resolution practices.

Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Institute of Directors Society of Construction Arbitrators

Various UK and International construction and legal publications.

LLB (Hons), Pg Dip (Legal Practice), MCInstCES MCIArb MIOD Barrister