Construction Law/Environmental Liability Insurance in Construction Sector

Question
Dear Florin,

I have been working in a prestigious suspension bridge Project in Turkey. I have a question regarding Insurance policies that I have very limited knowledge as I am only familiar with CAR and TPL.
In accordance with our EPC Contract some of insurances shall be procured by the Employer  including CAR, TPL and Liability insurance for the Damage to Environment as EPC Contractor’s cost reduced due to this set up during tender stage. Construction operation has already been commenced by the Contractor in order to mitigate any potential delay as the Project shall be continued with  “fast track” nature since considerable delay penalties has been set forth in the Contract.
However, none of above mentioned insurances have been provided by the Employer. And they requested some of amendments in order to minimise cost of premium for the insurances.
One of amendment they offered us to cancellation of Environmental (Ecology) Liability Insurance requirement, stating that requirement will be covered under TPL policy with a particular clause providing coverage for pollution”…. insurance against a damage caused by a sudden or unexpected pollution”

Our job site is within the forest as considerable amount of trees have been removed in order to construct the bridge and other portions of the motorway. If It is possible, I will some quarries to identify extent of Environmental (Ecology) Liability Insurance.
-Can you please tell me, In general practice whether this type of insurance includes deforestation risk from the Contractor, Employer or a third party (government)?
-Does this type of insurance policies covers only “pollution” risk or any other associated risk can be covered by Environmental Liability Insurance policy.
-If deforestation has already occurred, providing this insurance (with a considerable amount of premium), does this policy cover cost of remedy “plantation” after completion of the Permanent Works?

Thank you very much in advance.

Utku Yönter

Answer
Dear Utku,

Thank you for your question.

Firstly, please note that insurances cover a risk that may or may not happen/ occur.

In your case, deforestation is a certainty, it must have been clear from first moment that it will happen, sooner or later.

In such case, we do not discuss about an insurances, but about acquiring the eventually needed permissions to cut the trees, make necessary arrangements for the Forestry Authority to collect the wood, etc and eventually plan some environmental mitigation measures, including planting trees somewhere else, or anything like that, for which a cost must have been included in the contract.

Such permit and arrangements might have been acquired by the Employer, or Contract should indicate that Contractor is to deal with.

With no such permission, I do not know the law in Turkey, but assume, you might face a penalty by the Forestry Authority (Ministry of Environment, or similar)and you'll be obliged to do some environment protection actions, e.g. planting other trees.

As such, please have a look at your Contract and see if it is indeed about insurances, or something else along above lines.

If you still need help, do come back to me.

Hope that helps.

Construction Law

Florin NICULESCU