Construction Law/Notice to Claim

Dear Sir!

I am working under FIDIC Conditions of Contract EPC/Turnkey Projects 1999. My question is If a contractor writes a sentence in a letter addressed to the Employer that "as your instruction is extra contractual, we reserve our rights to claim the additional quantity becasuse of your instruction". Shall this sentence be treated as a notice to claim under clause 20.1? just for example the contract says to provide 6.0m wide road and the Employer instructs 6.1m wide road.

Dear Ishaq Bhatti,

The Employer has changed the rules and thus cannot avoid his responsibilities through a technicality.  

I would interpret the phrase as compliant, but as the Contractor I would always include the phrase 'in accordance with clause 20.1, I ...'.  I include this phrase to be sure that my claim has a contractual basis.  As the Employer's Representative, I would acknowledge receipt of the letter and include the following phrase 'I understand that you wish to make a claim for reimbursement of extra costs or an extension of the time for completion in accordance with clause 20.1.  Therefore, I expect full details of your claim by ....'.  Alternatively, I would include a phrase reminding the Contractor of the requirements of clause 20.1 regarding its time bar.'  You do not want to get into an argument about unfair enrichment, not do you want to be accused by an arbitrator or judge of being unhelpful.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott

First response to queries regarding extensions of time, variations orders, site instructions and payment using FIDIC and other forms of Conditions of Contract, based on English Law, and derivatives only. Anyone who needs advice about EoT should download and study the SCL Delay & Disruption Protocol before submitting a question.

Value . . .
It's unwise to pay too much, but it's unwise to pay too little. When you pay too much you lose a little money, that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing you bought it to do.
The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it's well to add something for the risk you run.
And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better.
. . . John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)
"We are too poor to buy something cheap"
.Romanian Proverb 2002
A lean compromise is better than a fat lawsuit. George Herbert (English poet 1593-1633)
I said it in Hebrew, I said it in Dutch,
I said it in German and Greek:
But I wholly forgot (and it vexes me much)
That English is what you speak!" Hunting of the Snark - Lewis Caroll
Match your presentation to the reader!
The joy of food lasts but an hour, of sleep but a day, of a woman, but a month, but the joy of a building lasts a lifetime. Syrian proverb.
Comments and observations leading to improvements in the translation of FIDIC Red & Yellow books into Romanian prior to approval by FIDIC (reference 'Preface to the Romanian edition')

Institution of Civil Engineers, Association of Chartered and Certified Accountants, Society of Construction Law, Dispute Resolution Board Foundation

B Sc(Hons) in Civil Engineering