Construction Law/Prinicples of Measurement

Question
Hello John,
We are working under FIDIC 1999.
If an item is required to be done in the contract under specifications but it is mentioned to be measured separately in Principles of Measurement what will prevail?
Our Contract gives no reference to POMI.
Clause 12.2 says "except as otherwise stated in the Contract and notwithstanding local practice"  the method of measurement shall be in accordance with the Bill of Quantities or other applicable schedules.
Kindly advice.
Thanks
Abdul

Answer
Dear Abdul Moid,

Thank you for this question.

If POMI is not stated as being the method of measurement in your contract the measurement rules of the POMI document cannot be superimposed without the agreement of both Parties.

If the specification requires work to be done, in your case the question of whether a separate payment item is needed will require a consideration of the Bill of Quantities applicable to the project.

If you can provide further details, for example a copy of the BoQ and details of the matter in issue, I will be happy to review the question again.

I hope that this assists you.

Kind regards,
John Dowse

Follow me on Twitter: @CernoOrg
For my regular industry newsletter e-mail to info@cerno.org, stating SUBSCRIBE in the subject line

Training and consulting services are available, bespoke to companies and individuals.
John Dowse can be contacted by e-mail to info@cerno.org (When e-mailing, please include “AllExperts” in the subject line.)

Construction Law

John Dowse