Construction Law/Delay in construction of a Orangery on my property

What is the average percentage of reduction  for delay in construction on a private dwelling?
At precent we are at week 27 from signing the contract to this stage and it is still not completed.

Dear Mr. Morris,

Thank you for this question.

The nature of construction work is that each project is unique. What is not unique is that many projects suffer delays as, it appears, is yours.

It is common to include within construction contracts a provision for damages in the event of delays, to give certainty as to the sums to be set off against the builder's price in the event of late completion. If there is no such provision an owner is entitled to claim from the builder the actual damages the owner has incurred; however proving such is difficult. Where there is no contract matters are even less certain, as it might be difficult to establish that the builder was tied to a completion date.   

In your circumstances I must advise that there is no average reduction that you can consider.  

If you would care to send me further details of your project and contract (see e-mail address below) I will be happy to advise further.

I hope that this assists you.

Kind regards,
John Dowse

Follow me on Twitter: @CernoOrg
For my regular industry newsletter e-mail to, stating SUBSCRIBE in the subject line

Training and consulting services are available, bespoke to companies and individuals.
John Dowse can be contacted by e-mail to (When e-mailing, please include “AllExperts” in the subject line.)

Construction Law

John Dowse

Legal; contract interpretation; quantum; delay analysis. Practitioner in arbitration, adjudication and mediation.

Thirty-three (33) years experience in building and construction, at all levels both within contracting and consulting organisations. Practising arbitrator, adjudicator, and mediator. Faculty approved trainer for the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. Lecturer on construction contract forms and dispute resolution practices.

Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Institute of Directors Society of Construction Arbitrators

Various UK and International construction and legal publications.

LLB (Hons), Pg Dip (Legal Practice), MCInstCES MCIArb MIOD Barrister