Construction Law/PINK BOOK FIDIC 2010

Question
we are dealing Highway project will you please explain with example for  clause 12.3 (a) (iii)This change in quantity directly changes the cost per unit quantity of this item by more than 1%

Answer
Dear Imran

Thanks for the question and again sorry for the late response as I am very busy these days. I will try to explain the contents of sub clause 12.3 a (iii). This is the third condition which must be fulfilled in order to find a new rate for an item of work. I will explain by this example.

Suppose the quantity of a BOQ item is 10000 units and its rate is Rs. 100 per unit. The cost of this item comes to be 10000* 100 = Rs. 1,000,000. Now suppose the quantity increased to 10200 units. The new cost of this item will now be Rs. 10200* 100 = 1020,000. If we check this cost for the Boq quantity the cost per unit comes to 1020000/ 10000 = 102. This means that the cost per unit have increased from Rs. 100 to Rs. 102 which is 2%. this increase in cost per unit is more than 1% and therefore this condition is satisfied. If other conditions are also satisfied than a new rate will be worked out for this item.

looking at the example we can clearly see that this does not satisfy condition stated in a (i)as the change in quantity is less than 25%. So this example is not qualified for a change in rate as this does not meet all the conditions.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards

Abdul Majid Khan

Construction Law

Abdul Majid Khan