Construction Law/PINK BOOK FODIC 2010

Question
AOA

SIR HOW ARE YOU

AS PER CLAUSE 12.3 IF VARIED  QUANTITIES  INCREASE OR DECREASE THEN WHAT ABOUT THE UNIT RATE INCREASE OR DECREASE

OVER HEAD  PROFIT INCREASE OR DECREASE IF VARIED QUANTITIES

KINDLY CLARIFY asap

Answer
Dear Imran

Thanks for the question. As a general rule any increase in the quantities of an item will reduce the overhead cost of the contractor. Having said so I will add that it is not always the case so it cannot be used without logic. There may be instances where the contractor has already quoted a lesser rate as strategy but an abnormal increase may create problems for him. Similar is the case where the quantities are reduced. This also do not increase the overheads, rather sometimes the Contractor feels delighted with such decrease in case he had made a mistake by inserting a low rate in his bid. Therefore the Engineer has to make his determination keeping all such facts in mind and after making consultation with the Contractor and Employer, in order to reach a fair conclusion.   

I hope the question is answered.
Regards

Abdul Majid Khan

Construction Law

Abdul Majid Khan