Construction Law/Breach of Contract

Question
QUESTION: Dear sir,

I am a Contractor, having a Government Project under FIDIC General Conditions of Contract. The Contract Period was 12 months and Possession of site was taken by Contractor after lapse of 1 year after Letter of Acceptance. When possession of site taken by Contractor, facing abrupt delays in Interim Payments. Further no Mobilization Advance was given by Employer, whereas Contract mentioned the applicable clauses. Employer says, that we have not enough funds to give Contractor Mobilization Advance. Furthermore, due to delay in payments and delay in possession of site, the contract period extended by the Engineer almost 1 year, but the work is still behind around 65% and the Interim Payments not received by Employer since 6 months.

Therefore, please advise me that will it possible to terminate the Contract as per the provisions of conditions of contract? If possible, please specify the relevant clauses.

ANSWER: Dear Ahmer,

You do not mention whether you are using the FIDIC 4, 1987, or FIDIC 99 version of the General Conditions of Contract.  

Both forms of contract allow the Contractor to terminate the Contract if the Employer does not pay the IPC's on time, FIDIC 4 - Clause 69, FIDIC 99 - Clause 16.  

QUESTION: My contract is in accordance with the FIDIC 1987, your reply was very much clear and helpful for me. In continuation to my question in the light of your reply, please advise me, if the Employer failed to pay Mobilization Advance as per the provisions of Conditions of Contract, and Contractor continue the project without Mobilization Advance, what shall be compensation against this or Contractor can claim?

ANSWER: Dear Ahmer,

You are entitled to your extra costs arising from the lack of a mobilisation advance.  However, it could be very difficult to prove actual extra costs.  If you borrowed money to replace the promised advance, then you could claim the financing costs.  If progress was delayed, then you could claim an extension of time, but again proving the actual effect of the lack of finance could be difficult.  

QUESTION: Will you please advise me the applicable clauses from the FIDIC 1987 against mobilization advance not paid by the Employer.

Answer
Dear Ahmer,

I guess we are getting to the stage where you need to employ me or someone to give you detailed advice.  The clause for the non-payment of the mobilisation advance is the same as the one for non-payment of the IPC, clause 69, because the request for the mobilisation advance should have been presented as the first IPC.  If you did not present that IPC, then you have a problem.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott