Construction Law/CONTRACT DOCUMENT

Question
We commenced work on a government road in Botswana in 2009, we did not receive the official contract documents until September 2012; in other words we worked on the strength of the Letter of Acceptance, which clearly states that we work according to FIDIC 1987. The worst part is that we did receive the bound contract documents during 2011, but were told to send them back to the consultants, as the then director of roads had signed in the wrong place. We did as requested, but then received this document in September 2012 with numerous pages added to it that were not there when we received it in 2011! Thanks for your help in advance. Sue

Answer
Dear Suzanne,

If there is a difference between the Tender Documents and the bound contract, then you can claim reimbursement for any extra costs and an EoT, if appropriate.  You have to study the differences and work out any extra  costs.  Remember the clock is ticking and you have limited time to submit your notification and details.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott