Construction Law/provisional sum and OHP

Question
Dear Sir,
I work on a project at the Contractor side executed under FIDIC Red Book 1999 converted to lump-sum. The Engineer claims that the OHP rate stated in the Appendix to Tender (10% in our case) applies both to items (a) and (b) of SC 13.5, which consequently obliges the Contractor to apply this rate on all varied work items including those executed without the use of sub-contractors. We claim that this rate shall only apply to 13.5 (b), thus only to Plant, Materials or services to be purchased from nominated (or not nominated) subcontractors and not to the works. What means the "or otherwise" statement in SC 13.5 (b)?

Answer
Dear Francis,

This clause refers to work valued under a Provisional Sum, but not other variations.  Clause 13.5.a refers to work done by the Contractor's staff under a Provisional sum, rather than being done by a subcontractor. Clause 13.5.b refers to work done by subcontractors, for which it is normal to get three quotations.  'Or otherwise' in this clause refers to work which is done by subcontractors, or suppliers, who are not nominated.  The Appendix to Tender refers specifically to clause 13.5(b).  If it was intended to apply to other clauses, those clauses would have been included.  

I guess that you are claiming more than 10% for OHP on other variations and the Engineer is querying your prices.  Profit has to be proved using audited accounts.  Few contractors have made more than 3% profits in recent years.  Overheads refer to off-site overheads, as the on-site overheads are included in the Prelims.  If you think that your prices are correct, then justify them in an objective manner.

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott