Construction Law/Re-rating a Bill of Quantities

Question
FIDIC Conditions of Subcontract for Construction - for Building and Engineering Works Designed by the Employer 2011
We are a structural Steelwork subcontractor working for a main contractor on a project with a BOQ included in the contract. The rates were calculated using the tender drawings and the BOQ. The rate per tonne will therefore reflect the number of pieces and the overall tonnage. The engineer has subsequently re-designed the frame which has resulted in lighter members. We still have to make the piece but it is now lighter, so you do not recover as much when you apply the bill rate. Can we re-rate the items in the bill?

Answer
Dear Steven,

You can submit your claim for re-rating the bill items, but you will have to make your case.  I presume that the number and size of holes and connections are similar to the original design so you have as much work to do, but the members are lighter.  It depends how the BoQ or contract was written.  If you had to supply IPE180 6 m long and now you have to supply IPE160 6 m long, then there is a change in the bill item and a consequential change in the unit rate.  If you had to supply 3,000 tonnes of I-beams and now it is 2,500 tonnes of I-beams, it might be more difficult to justify a change in rate, but it can be done.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott