Construction Law/Change in Villa Design due to authority instruction n

Subject: Change in Villa Design – Design changes
Project: Construction of 500 Villas
Contract: Design & Built
Location: UAE
Contract: Bespoke
Dear Mr. Akhtar Hussain Mayo
Background of the issue:
During the inception stage, Client approved a mockup villa (in different emirates). The Contractor priced the project in line with the tender documents (master plan and approved drawing – Mockup villa Plan). Based on the approval by the client, the Contractor developed the Villa design and when it was submitted to the Local Municipality approval (different emirates) the authority rejected the design and asked the Contractor to change the design completely, saying that it does not match up with the local custom. The GFA as per old design and new design remains same. Municipality hasn’t introduced any new design. Client tried to convenience the Municipality and lost. Due to the instruction by the authority the Contractor suffered a
1.   Delay (EOT & Prolongation cost)
2.   Additional cost due to redesign and
3.   The construction cost (Increase in structural quantities of the villas as per the new design)
Contract Conditions: (usual one)
1.   Contractor should comply with all authorities regulations and the project budget must not vary
Question: Whether we (contractor) is entitled for the above claim

Dear Mike,
I have the following, please:
•   GFA, I am not aware of it
•   It is assumed that your “Client” is a private builder
•   The construction work never stated at site due to non-approval of design
•   You/your company is still in the process of design approval from municipality, and it is not clear what was the contractual requirement of the design from the contractor
•   We are not aware of the performance guarantee and advance payment guarantee you submitted under the contract

We understand, that based on new design, duly approved by the Municipality may apply “change in design and or change conditions” doctrine and new/revised price and time for completion may be agreed upon by the stakeholders.

We are only relaying upon on the general understanding of the contract, whereas we need to look into the contract document/agreement between your client and yourself as well as your agreement with other stakeholders if so applicable.

Best Regards
Akhtar Hussain Mayo

Construction Law

Akhtar Hussain Mayo

I am interested to comment on Project planning/scheduling, schedule updating, extension of time delay analysis, concurrent delays, extension of time, extension of time delay compensation cost analysis, up to some extent on contractual matters, for the sake of my learning

worked on a Eot and cost compensation claim in 1992 for 34 million USD, 1987-1992 worked as RE technical at Tarbela third extension, Pakistan, 1992-1996 scheduling and construction claim processing at Lahore/Karachi on Thermal projects, 1197 to 2006 in Saudi Arabia project scheduling/coordination/monitoring and managing the multiple activities for completing four 300 beds hospitals in different parts of the world, since 2006 to date working for scheduling, delay analysis, cost compensation Eot claims and project monitoring. Also, Quality manuals review, monitoring and quality audit

National Engineering Services of Pakistan, Lahore, since 1982 - to date.

published my method in "The Engineer" Delay cost analysis through as-planned verses as-built and as-adjusted time schedule. 1991

1976-81 Bsc Engineering (Mechanical), UET (Lahore) 2007-2009 MS TQM (Total Quality Management) PU (Lahore) courses in CPM/PERT PIM Lahore Project planning/Control work shop ARAMCO, Dahran Primavera users conference in Jeddah. Heat recovery systems quality inspection in China 220 Kv transmission line tower manufacturing quality assurance at Lahore

- Best service award from Saudi German Hospitals Group (SGH), Jeddah during the construction planning/scheduling and monitoring of Abha Hospital, Saudi Arabia. - Selected as Steering Committee member for SGH Group, Jeddah. - Selected as Strategic Committee for business development, SGH, Jeddah. - Headed the committee for standardized recrutment of medical staff from different parts of the world for initial start-Up of hospitals.

Water and Power Development Authority KaracHi Electric Supply Corporation Saudi German Hospitals Group,Jeddah Civil Aviation Authority, Islamabad, Pakistan Laraib Energy Limited, Mir Pur Azad-Kashmir, Pakistan Central Power Generation company processing the Eot Claims and cost compensation of claims CPGCL-GENCO-II, Lahore