Construction Law/EXTENSION IN PERFORMANCE BOND UNDER DISPOSSESSION OF SITE BY EMPLOYER RISK EVENT

Question
Sir, I would appreciate your opinion on a FIDIC 4th Edition, 1987 reprinted 1992 based Contract.

The Employer is asking to extend the validity of Performance Bond when the Time of Contract is at large due to Employer's dispossession of Site and no Variation Order issued/agreed to extend the Performance Period and no revision of Contract Rates/Prices agreed with the Contractor so far, since the prices were valid till the Performance Period.  Initial Contract Period was 18 months + 12 months DLP.  After 12 months performance, the Site was dispossessed and it remained dispossessed for 20 months.  The Employer & Engineer recognize it as employer risk event.  The Contract has not been terminated by either Site.

Usman

Answer
Dear Usman Sarwar,

Clause 10.2 is relevant.  The Performance Security must be extended until the Defects Liability Certificate has been issued.  Just because time is at large and other matters remain unresolved, it does not mean that the Contractor can evade his obligations. The cost of extending the Performance Security is part of the costs of overcoming the Employer's Risk.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott