Construction Law/Meeting minutes

Question
The meeting minutes is prepared by the consultant but he is always issuing the meeting minutes just one hr before the next meeting which not give us the chance to read it or object it if any, can you please tell me what FIDIC says in related to such delay? can the contractor make his meeting minutes? because the last time when I did make a meeting minutes from my side he object.

Answer
Dear Taha,

This is more of an administrative issue rather than a contractual one. Although I am not aware why the Consultant is delaying the minutes of meeting (MOM).

FIDIC do not stipulate any MOM requirement but it a good business practice. Distributing MOM is useful as one can discuss all the discrepancies thereby making the meetings more productive.

However if you think that the Consultant is trying to hide the facts or so, you may write a letter immediately after the meeting by recording specific discussions held/instructions provided during the said meeting. This can , if required, be serve as a document to confirm Oral Instructions as stipulated in sub-clause 3.3 of FIDIC 99 form of contract.

Thanks

Construction Law

Manish Gupta