Construction Law/CLAIMS ON CONTRACT TERMINATED AT CLIENT'S CONVENIENCE

Question
QUESTION: I am Quantity Surveyor administering a construction contract based on the General Conditions of Contract similar to that of the World Bank (for small works-2008 Edition). What are the the heads of claim that are admissible when a Contract is terminated at Client's convenience during the mobilization period?

ANSWER: Dear George,

Almost anything that the Contractor can prove.  

Some thoughts, but there could be others

1.   Mobilisation costs actually incurred;
2.   Overheads actually incurred, including recruitment and tender costs,
3.   Bonds insurance policies and securities purchased;
4.   Plant and supplies purchased;
5.   Rental or purchase of offices and site facilities, and land for them;
6.   Loss of overhead recovery;
7.   Loss of Profit

QUESTION: To what extent/level would I allow a claim on loss of overheads recovery and loss of profit? Is it to based on 100% of the whole contract sum or part of it.

Answer
Dear George,

Difficult one.  You have to make a value judgement as to how long it will take to find alternative work, which will provide overhead recovery and profit.  Profit has to be based on the actual profit shown in audited accounts for past years, not on any allowances made when submitting the tender.  Unless it is a very short or small job, I would say less than 100%, but perhaps equivalent to six months of the contract overhead recovery and profit.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott