Construction Law/FIDIC 87 Clause 47.2

We would like to receive your comment on the following.

In accordance with Clause 47.2 (Reduction of Penalty) of the Conditions of Contract,

“If, before the Time for Completion of the whole of the Works or, if applicable any Section, a Taking-Over Certificate has been issued for any part of the Works or of a Section, the penalty for delay in completion of the remainder of the Works or of that Section shall, for any period of delay after the date stated in such Taking-Over Certificate, and in the absence of alternative provisions in the Contract, be reduced in the proportion which the value of the part “so certified” bears to the value of the whole of the Works or Section, as applicable.  The provisions of this Sub-Clause shall only apply to the rate of penalty and shall not affect the limit thereof.”  

Assuming that the total length of a Sewerage Network Pipe is 1,000 Mtrs including 50 manholes thus costs Dhs. 625,000/- and a TOC has been issued for 400 Mtrs of pipes including 20 numbers of manholes which costs Dhs250,000/- However on the same date the amount certified through Interim Payment Certificate is Dhs. 475,000/-   

Is the penalty on the network to be reduced on the basis of the certified value of the TOC, or on the value certified in the interim payment certificate? In other words does the word "so certified" in the above clause refer to the amount certified in TOC or the amount certified in the Interim Payment Certificate?

Your comment for the above will be appreciated.

Kind Regards

Ninan M.M, Quantity Surveyor,
JV III Infrastructure Supervision,

Dear Ninan,

The idea of partial taking over certificates is that the Employer can occupy and use that part of the works.  If the pipe is a single line, then the Employer might not be able to occupy and use a completed section, so I would prohibit taking over of parts of the pipeline.  

However, to answer your question.  The reduction in penalties is based on the value of the ToC, not the value of IPC.  'so certified' refers to the section certified as complete for purposes of the ToC.  Consider the works in the IPC.  They could refer to excavated trenches with no pipes or unconnected untested pipes without manholes and backfill.  Obviously this work cannot be occupied and used by the Employer, so there is no reduction in damages for the difference between the value in the ToC and the value in the IPC.

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott

First response to queries regarding extensions of time, variations orders, site instructions and payment using FIDIC and other forms of Conditions of Contract, based on English Law, and derivatives only. Anyone who needs advice about EoT should download and study the SCL Delay & Disruption Protocol before submitting a question.

Value . . .
It's unwise to pay too much, but it's unwise to pay too little. When you pay too much you lose a little money, that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing you bought it to do.
The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it's well to add something for the risk you run.
And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better.
. . . John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)
"We are too poor to buy something cheap"
.Romanian Proverb 2002
A lean compromise is better than a fat lawsuit. George Herbert (English poet 1593-1633)
I said it in Hebrew, I said it in Dutch,
I said it in German and Greek:
But I wholly forgot (and it vexes me much)
That English is what you speak!" Hunting of the Snark - Lewis Caroll
Match your presentation to the reader!
The joy of food lasts but an hour, of sleep but a day, of a woman, but a month, but the joy of a building lasts a lifetime. Syrian proverb.
Comments and observations leading to improvements in the translation of FIDIC Red & Yellow books into Romanian prior to approval by FIDIC (reference 'Preface to the Romanian edition')

Institution of Civil Engineers, Association of Chartered and Certified Accountants, Society of Construction Law, Dispute Resolution Board Foundation

B Sc(Hons) in Civil Engineering