Construction Law/Overhead & Profit

Question
Hi Mike,

Thank you for ansewring my previous question.
I have another question ragrding the same FID 1999 contract.
The contractor is asking extra charges for preparing shop drawings for a variation work.

As per the Contract:

" The contractors fee is:
1) eight 8% for work to be executed by the contractor itself
2) six 6% for work to be executed by a subcontractor

For new works which do not form part of the BOQ the Contractors fee shall be applicable

For Provisional sums, allow six percent for overhead and profit, general and special attendance and all asociated builders work associated with this work."

Is it contractually right to pay extra money for the preparation of any shop drawings as the contractor is already getting 6% or 8% (as the case may be)fee against additional works.

thanks & regards,
Kishore

Answer
Hi Kishore
If there are workshop drawings required to process and procure a variation then they should be paid for.
They are normally prepared by the subcontractor and all the main contractor has to do is get approval.
Therefore the subcontractor's cost is to be paid but nothing for the contractor.
Check the value of the 6% of the variation to see how many designer hours it covers.
before payment.

Best regards
Mike Testro

Construction Law

Mike Testro