Construction Law/vop-source of indices

Question
Dear Sir
I ma working in Uganda as supervision consultant for a road project.
I am Resident Engineer
our contractor quoted in price adjustment table fuel-local and he attached one of indices where he mentioned fuel-should be suabi arabia price and given base index 111.
but he is procuring fuel for local.
after certification of 22 IPC. he want to claim fuel as local
what would be engineers  interpretation
if possible quote classes
thanks
bala

Answer
Dear Bala Krishna Rao,

Thank you for this question.

The facts you have provided are very limited and more would be needed to make an accurate, reliable response; however I offer an initial opinion.

If the contract called for price indices to be stated and the contractor selected the indices, my opinion is that the contractor carried the risk of any future change in or inadequacy of the chosen indices.

However, if there has been a change in local legislation affecting the price of fuel locally, the Contractor may be entitled to some further compensation. This aspect is something that I would be happy to hear more about.

I hope that this assists you.

Kind regards,
John Dowse

Follow me on Twitter: @CernoOrg
For my regular industry newsletter e-mail to info@cerno.org, stating SUBSCRIBE in the subject line

Training and consulting services are available, bespoke to companies and individuals.
John Dowse can be contacted by e-mail to info@cerno.org (When e-mailing, please include “AllExperts” in the subject line.)

Construction Law

John Dowse