Construction Law/inflation

Question
Dear Sir,

We have lumbsum contract. And we have extension of time more than original contract duration. Fidic is part of our contract and the % of variations more than 15% . i wanna claim for increasing the contract value by amount proportionate to the inflation in my country which is 4% annually. the approved extension of time is 2 years. should i claim for amount of money equal to 1.04% or 1.08% of the original contract value.

Thanks alot

Answer
Dear Sir,
The Contractor takes the risk of the price within the time for completion. During the extension of time the price should follow the market prices - not only the inflation. You may want to use the escalation formula from the Sub-clause 13.8 (FIDIC 1999 Red Book Contract) or other escalation formula which the industry is using in the country of the Contract. For sure using only the inflation you will get a lower price than the market would determine.
Hope it helps.
Best regards,
Alina

Construction Law

Alina Valentina Oprea