Construction Law/Price Adjustment

Dear Sir,
I would like to ask  regarding Price Adjustment.
The contract is FIDIC Redbook 1999.
1. which date will be effective for price adjustment calculation in IPC?
Contractor's IPC Submission date to the Engineer or
IPC certified date by the Engineer
2.For Example,the contractor forgot to include all the quantities in one of the BOQ item in IPC and he submitted the remaining quantity in the next IPC after 3 months. Which date will be effective for the calculation of Price Adjustment for the remaining quantity?

Dear Binod,

Thank you for this question.

The Base Date is a defined term; please refer to sub-clause It is "the date 28 date prior to the latest date for submission of the Tender". It is not related to the IPC submission or certificate time.

In view of this answer, which I hope corrects your misunderstanding, I think the second question is redundant, as the calculation will be the same whichever month the quantities were claimed.

I hope that this assists you.

Kind regards,
John Dowse

Follow me on Twitter: @CernoOrg
For my regular industry newsletter e-mail to, stating SUBSCRIBE in the subject line

Training and consulting services are available, bespoke to companies and individuals.
John Dowse can be contacted by e-mail to (When e-mailing, please include “AllExperts” in the subject line.)

Construction Law

John Dowse

Legal; contract interpretation; quantum; delay analysis. Practitioner in arbitration, adjudication and mediation.

Thirty-three (33) years experience in building and construction, at all levels both within contracting and consulting organisations. Practising arbitrator, adjudicator, and mediator. Faculty approved trainer for the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. Lecturer on construction contract forms and dispute resolution practices.

Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Institute of Directors Society of Construction Arbitrators

Various UK and International construction and legal publications.

LLB (Hons), Pg Dip (Legal Practice), MCInstCES MCIArb MIOD Barrister