Construction Law/Time impact of a Variation Order

Question
Dear Alina

In a large scale construction project under 1987 fourth edition  fidic. I need to know when a V.O is worth a time extension beside the cost impact i.e if a V.O is approved for the contractor as an addition variation, the contractor is entitled to more money of course but is he entitled to more time?
please explain with supporting case studies or examples mentioning the reference clauses in the above said fidic

Khaled

Answer
Dear Khaled,
Your question needs much time to present case studies or examples, and this cannot be done here, where the time and space are limited. I will tell you the principle, and I hope that no examples will be needed to clarify this issue:
When a variation is instructed, this means that the Contractor must do things that were not initially foreseen in the Contract at all or were foreseen to be done in a different way. If these variations cause extra costs to the Contractor, these additional costs should be reimbursed to the Contractor.
If the variations instructed cause delays, and the initial Time for Completion cannot be observed because of these dalays, the Contractor is entitled to have the time for completion extended, i.e. to be granted an extension of time, BUT only if the delays are on the critical path, meaning that only if THESE delays determine the move (shift) of the Completion Date.
In all cases - not only in variations - when the Contractor suffers delays from causes that are not in his responsibility, and these delays are on the critical path, the Contractor is entitled to extension of the time for completion.
Hope these help and no examples or case studies are necessary.
Best regards,
Alina

Construction Law

Alina Valentina Oprea