Construction Law/Variation

Question
here is my question.

1. contract scheduled completion date has passed as per contract. prior to schedule completion date variation#1 was issued for additional work for duration of 90 calendar days.   it is mentioned in the var#1 that original contract is now considered as Milestone 1 and var# 1 as Milestone #2. Should LD be applicable to both as both have separate Milestone completion  date?  It is to be mentioned that the original could be completed without variation #1. is it right to assign Milestone dates when the original contract has no Milestone?

Thanks for your kind attention.

RBD

Answer
Dear Rotor Dacanay,

You do not mention the form of contract nor the applicable law so the following comments will be generic.  

It is unusual to introduce milestones, once the Contract has been signed, because the introduction of milestones is a change to the Contract, which needs written agreement by both parties.  You must calculate your risk due to this change in the Contract and claim for the extra costs involved.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott