Construction Law/construction contract law

Question
We do not have a 'latent defect act' in the country. In view of this what is the limiting period of liability for any construction defect. Would it be as per the contract agreement which stipulates DLP or would the liability be for the lifecycle of the structure ? In addition the insurance companies do not cover this risk as the period is not clear under the law !

Answer
Dear Raj,

I have no knowledge or experience of the legal system in Uganda so I cannot give you a definitive answer and the following comments will be general in nature but might lead you to a solution.  I suggest that you should look to the law on contracts and breech of contract or the law of tort and negligence.  

It is assumed that latent defects are caused either by a breech of contract either by the Contractor or the designer or by an act of negligence by either, but more likely the designer.  The first step is to find out the reason for the latent defect.  Is it due to poor materials, poor workmanship or poor design?  Once the cause is decided, then the instigator can be suggested and prosecuted.  Obviously, the court will consider the nature of the defect, its affect on the value of the property, road, building, pumping station etc., and on its effectiveness.  The court will consider also the cost of remedial works and the time since the project was completed.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott