Construction Law/Fidic IV 1987-92. LDs

Question
Dear Elliott
There is a confusion regarding when the liquidated damages (LDs) are due to be deducted or paid by the contractor. One view is that these are due when the actual TOC is issued and the amount deducted will be the number of days, elapsed between the actual completion and the stipulated completion date, multiplied by the amount per day of LDs. My opinion is that LDs become due when the contractual completion date is over and there is no EOT claim pending. The deduction will immediately start from any payment due to the contractor and there is no need to wait for the actual completion. The actual completion date is merely used to compute the total amount of LDs to be deducted. Please comment

Answer
Dear Abdul Majid Khan

I answered a similar question to this one just recently.  In the absence of any claims for EOT, I suggest that the Employer is entitled to deduct delay damages once the time for completion has expired.  Here is my previous answer.

The timing of payment of liquidated damages is not clear, considering clause 47 and 60.2.  There can be problems if the Contractor has submitted claims for extensions of time which are unresolved or still in dispute.  If an EoT were to be granted at a later date, then the Employer would have to repay any liquidated damages and pay interest for the time that they were deducted.  Clause 60.10 allows the Employer to deduct liquidated damages from any payment due under an IPC.

The Employer can deduct the liquidated damages from any payments certified by the Engineer for payment or from any other payments due to the Contractor.  It could be that the liquidated damages are greater than any payments which are due to the Contractor.  I recommend that the Employer submit a claim to the Engineer for liquidated damages.  If the Engineer agrees the claim, then the Employer instructs him to deduct the amount from the IPC and the Employer pays the certified amount.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott