Construction Law/Liquadated damage & interim payments

Question
QUESTION: Dear Sir,

with reference to Fidic 1987 and as per clause 60.2 of the monthly payment the deduction from the interim payments should be considered by the engineer other than pursuant to Clause 47 (liquidated damages) whereas as per clause 60.10 the employer would consider Clause 47 upon payment the interim payment to the contractor within 28 days ??!!
May you explain this discrepancy and explain if the liquidated damages could be deducted from interim payments or only from payment at completion???

Thank you

Khaled

ANSWER: Dear Khaled,

The timing of payment of liquidated damages is not clear, considering clause 47 and 60.2.  The can be problems if the Contractor has submitted claims for extensions of time which are unresolved or still in dispute.  If an EoT were to be granted at a later date, then the Employer would have to repay any liquidated damages and pay interest for the time that they were deducted.  Clause 60.10 allows the Employer to deduct liquidated damages from any payment due under an IPC.

The Employer can deduct the liquidated damages from any payments certified by the Engineer for payment or from any other payments due to the Contractor.  It could be that the liquidated damages are greater than any payments which are due to the Contractor.  I recommend that the Employer submit a claim to the Engineer for liquidated damages.  If the Engineer agrees the claim, then the Employer instructs him to deduct the amount from the IPC and the Employer pays the certified amount.  

QUESTION: Thank you Sir, however;

1- please explain what are the cases  which will allow the engineer to agree the claim of the employer to deduct liquidated damage from any IPC and the cases which will not.
2- Also, you mentioned that If the Engineer agrees the claim, then the Employer instructs him to deduct the amount from the IPC and the Employer pays the certified amount. what do you mean by the certified amount that will be paid by the employer??

Thanks again

Answer
Dear Khaled,

1. The Engineer will agree the Employer's claim when it is valid, i.e. the time for completion has expired and the Contractor has not submitted a valid claim for extension of time.  The Engineer will reject the Employer's claim if the time for completion, plus extensions granted, has not expired.  The Engineer may delay a decision if there is a valid claim for an extension of time which has not been resolved when the time for completion, plus extensions, if any, expires.

2. The certified amount is the value of work done in the period less any deductions, including the Employer's claims for delay damages.

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott